William G. Hellis was among the first to contribute to the organizing of the Greek-Americans for the Pan Arcadian Hospital.
He was chairman of the Tripoli Fundraising Committee and managed the construction of the Pan Arcadian Hospital of Tripoli, showing his unwavering interest in his homeland.
The Pan-Arcadian Triple Hospital was erected by the Pan Arcadian Federation of America, a Greek non-governmental organization active during the war and immediately afterwards for help in Greece, of which William G. Helis was president. William G. Helis, was born on October 17, 1886 in Tropaia, Arcadia. He immigrated to the USA in 1904.
A multimillionaire and one of the main supporters of the then American President, Harry S. Truman.
The hospital was built with "American standards", since all its materials and equipment had been transported from America as a donation of the Arcadians of America, who provided all the financial consideration and offered everything needed for its construction.
With the fundraising of the Expatriate Arcadians of America, the Pan Arcadian Hospital of Tripoli was built with 269 beds for the modern care of the Arcadian People.
The cost for the hospital erection was covered by a Pan American fundraiser, mainly among the Expatriate Arcadians of American, as well as by individual Greek-American donations and US support through the Marshall Plan.
The hospital was rented to the Ministry of Health for a small amount of money.
Also, beds were granted for "use" for the facilities of the 411 Military Hospital.
In 1952, the Pan Arcadian Federation of America handed it over to the Greek State in exchange for a symbolic amount of rent.
History is written with names.
The History of the Pan Arcadian Hospital of Tripolis by the Pan Arcadia Federation of America with words and pictures.